Sign up to receive my posts in your inbox. Daily fart jokes abound!

Friday, April 6, 2012

Matzo ball soup

I first had matzo ball soup at Canter's Deli in Los Angeles.  I was taken there by a Jewish friend to as she put it "pop my matzo cherry".  Charmed I'm sure.

The soup was freaking delicious.  Chicken soup with a big doughy kind of noodle thing in the middle?  Yes please!  More please!

There was a time that I thought I might birth a matzo ball given that was all I could eat while pregnant for a few weeks.  I used to make it using store bought mix, but it was way too salty for me.  I've blended a few various recipes from around the web to create a version for home.  Sans the mix.  I don't claim this is authentic or anything like that.  But even if you're a gentile like me, I'm guessing this is something you'd enjoy.

Matzo ball soup
-3 carrots
-2 stalks of celery
-half onion
-parsley (maybe 2 tsp)
-sage (a pinch)
-salt & pepper to taste
-olive oil
-a shit ton of garlic
-chicken (optional)
-stock (try homemade in the crockpot)
-ice water
-1 cup matzo meal
-4 eggs, slightly beaten

In a mixing bowl, slightly beat 4 eggs, salt, and pepper.

Add the matzo meal.  Then the ice water and olive oil.  Stir to combine.  Refrigerate overnight, or at least 2 hours.
A few hours before serving, sautee your onion, celery, and carrots in copious amounts of olive oil and a little stock. I love my dutch oven for this, but any pot will work.  If you're adding chicken, cook it in the pot at this point. Saute until veggies are softened.
Add copious amounts of minced garlic.  Mix.
Add the broth, parsley, sage, and simmer for about 20 minutes.  Then bring to a boil.
Take the matzo meal out of the fridge, and form balls (snicker) with the dough.  Plop in to the boiling soup, cover, and let cook for 30 minutes.  Then turn the burner off, but keep the lid on for another 10 minutes.


Serve at least one ball per bowl.  But it's much funnier to serve two.  If you're new here, just a FYI - I'm 12.

7 comments:

  1. That looks tasty! Might have to try it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I have a question....and I don't want to sound creepy so feel free to decline answering it. Most blogs that are about finances and budgets say what state they are blogging from. I look for that because I am originally from Alaska and it is high cost of living state. I live in Utah now which is lower than most states. I like being able to see the differences and it helps me judge if it is a good deal. So with that...what state are you from? If you don't want to answer that is perfectly fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in Washington state - outside of Seattle.

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious! I've never tried this kind of soup before but am going to have to now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "shit ton"...is that a metric measurement? Bwwahahahahahaaha!! I love it!! And I"m gonna make the soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it is indeed! I never really "got" the metric system, but I assume that a "shit ton" is used throughout in the world?

      ;-D

      Delete
  5. Looks delicious. I'm definitely making this for me and the munchkin this week!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me more excited than Jessie Spano on caffeine pills!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...