Sign up to receive my posts in your inbox. Daily fart jokes abound!

Monday, April 23, 2012

Homemade gnocchi

Just so that I can gross you out right at the start, my mother-in-law calls gnocchi "grub larvae".  But she still loves to eat them.

So about six months ago, an Amazon box arrived on my front porch with a ricer in it and a note from my friend Anne that said "I don't know what the hell this is, but enjoy it".  It had been on my Amazon wishlist for a few months, and she randomly sent it to me.  Cause she is awesome.

Anne came up last weekend for Jack's birthday party, and as she loves gnocchi, I decided to make them for her.  It was the least I could do.  But I also spit in her serving.  For no reason.  She probably deserved it.
This is Anne.  And her sweet ninja bubble popping moves.  Jack is wearing Batman pajamas.  Just cause'
The gnocchi recipe comes from here.


You'll need
1.5 lbs of potatoes
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup of flour (I used freshly ground soft white)

1) Generally you don't need to peel potatoes with the ricer, but I wanted to make extra sure that no peels got in the pasta, so I pre-peeled them.  Then boiled them until soft.


2) Pass the potatoes through the ricer, and allow the "rice" to cool on cookie sheets for 15-20 minutes.  It is very important that you use the world's dirtiest looking cookie sheets.

3) Add your beaten egg, flour, and salt and pepper to the potatoes.  I found mixing it with my hands to be the easiest.

4) Make a ball and then cut in to 4 pieces.


5) Take each piece, and make a "rope" with well-floured hands on a well-floured surface.

6) Use a pastry cutter, or a knife (make sure you're dipping whatever you use in flour), and cut the gnocchi.

7) If you want, roll the pieces on the tines of a fork.  I laid the "completed" version on my dirty ass baking sheets to dry out for a few hours.

8) Bring a pot of water with kosher salt and olive oil to a boil.  Add your gnocchi.  When they float to the top, they're done!  Drain and serve with toppings of your choice.

These were VERY easy to make, and I'll definitely make them again.  Next time I'll triple the batch and let them freeze on the (dirty) baking sheets in the freezer, and then will store them in Ziplocs for future meals!

19 comments:

  1. Oh my daughter is going to love these!! I have a lot of food allergies but could sub GF flour I think!! I'm so excited to try these! Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock! The hubby loves gnocchi and his birthday is coming up. Homemade gnocchi dinner? Yes, please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those moves look sweet!! Also, I can vouch for that super delicious gnocchi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously? It is that easy? Need to make these ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any suggestions for the uncool kids without a ricer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just use a microplane or a cheese grater. The important thing is to make in tiny pieces so that you can easily manipulate the potatoes into pasta. :)

      Delete
    2. Or my KitchenAid grater/slicer! Thanks for the tip!!

      Delete
  6. I'm with E on this one! What to do without a ricer?! Other than dream that one could ever find such an awesome friend like Anne to surprise her with one?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just use a microplane or a cheese grater. The important thing is to make in tiny pieces so that you can easily manipulate the potatoes into pasta. :)

      Delete
    2. Or you could use a garlic press...may take longer, but it will do the same thing.

      Delete
    3. I would check Goodwill since ricers seem like something people buy and then never use.

      But the other suggestions from Briana work as well! The point of the ricer is to not "overwork" the potatoes, so just make sure you're not getting them gummy in whatever you use. Also perhaps a metal colander with the spuds pushed through the holes?

      Delete
  7. I'm so going to make these....and spinach ones because I have so much spinach and potatoes from my CSA that I haven't known what to do with it!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! Let me know how they turn out!

      Delete
  8. Love your blog!! Found it from Pintrest!! To bad some of the products you talk about I can't get because I am in Canada!! Like Raw milk would love to try it but it is illegal here ( weird ) so I buy organic. Keep up the awesome writing and tips :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Raw milk is illegal in many states in the US. Some farmers get around it by selling "milk shares" or "pet food" to people. If you have a local farmer's market, ask around there. Those people are generally in the know! ;-D

      Delete
  9. This look wonderful! So easy, so simple and delicious! Thanks for sharing an awesome recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know you can put your "dirty" cookie sheets in your self-cleaning oven when you run the clean cycle. They will come out shiny and new! It just makes lots of smoke!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your blog :) Do you boil your gnocchi before you freeze it or boil them after you take them out of the freezer?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks yummy! I have a ton of potatoes from my CSA so I may give this a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me more excited than Jessie Spano on caffeine pills!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...