No spend March

Our no spend month begins today.  And it couldn't have come at a better time.

Saturday night my catalytic converter essentially blew up.  To the tune of $850.

Then, on Sunday Troy informed me that he needed to go to the ER.  Oh and I switched us to the high-deductible insurance plan for this year.  You know, to save money.  To the tune of $2,800 total before insurance will pay a dime.

Something to keep in mind, the women in my family are tough.  TOUGH.  My mom walked around on her foot saying "it kinda hurts" for months.  Turns out she had broken it.  My sister made it through like fifteen days of labor without so much as a Tylenol.  My gas oven exploded on me in 2005 and I got second degree burns on my arms and legs.  It singed off half my hair and I went to get a freaking haircut before going to the ER because I had a red eye to catch the next night for work.

The men in our family?  A hang nail will put them in traction.

Which leaves the women in our family a bit leery of any claims of "needing to go to the doctor".  We tend to roll our eyes, tell them to suck it up, and offer to make them a gynecological appointments for their infected vaginas.

We're sweet like that.

So when Troy said he needed to go to the ER and I knew we would have to pay 100% out of pocket for anything, and my car just blew up, and he was out of work for four months for training, let's just say I wasn't jumping at the chance for him to seek professional help.  As it turns out, your spouse may not appreciate either of the following things being said when they claim they're sick:

1) what is the cheapest way to get you fixed?
2) there is a guy named Steve behind the Wal-Mart who will fix you up for $25 and a taco.

Ahem.

Well, as it turns out, I was wrong and I'm glad Troy ended up going.  He was admitted to the hospital overnight for observation, and still is having to take it very easy.  Please have your pen and paper ready for this moment.

I was wrong.

So, I'm sure the bill for the hospital will be coming soon.  Oy.  Troy's grandma gave us some money (well a lot of money) so that is lovely for a cushion, but things are going to be super tight(er) for the next four months until he is back to work.  Hurray.

My spending this month is restricted to groceries, medical bills, and a boat load of gas for the vehicles.

Are you participating in no spend March?  What are you plans?

Labels: