Homemade mayo

Also known as the post that will make my friend Anne hurl.  Girl hates mayo like Tony Ja hates people who steal his deity and/or elephants.  Tony Ja reference anyone?  Come on, Tony Ja is the man!  He'd like my mayo.  Stop judging me for being the weird chick who loves parkour movies.  Forget the Tony Ja reference...shall we get to the mayo?

I actually am not a mayo fan either.  I would never elect to put it on a sandwich, but I will use a little for coleslaw or chicken salad.  Troy however; big mayo lover.  Ever read the ingredients on a mayo container?  Double yuck.

This mayo recipe has probably had more iterations than DW-40 (it took the people who made it 40 tries before finding the current recipe...), but I've finally found one that makes Troy say "this tastes like Best Foods" (Hellman's to my East Coast readers).  I'm still indifferent to it, but the mayo fiend will eat it.

Sarah's Mayo 
1 large egg and 2 egg yolks; room temp
1/2 tsp of dijon mustard
1/4 tsp of sea salt
1.5 tsp of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (I use ACV)
2/3 cup of melted coconut oil
2/3 cup of walnut oil
1/4 cup of olive oil
2-3 TBSP whey
Now, this is easier to make in a food processor, but I find that using my immersion blender in a wide-mouth canning jar makes for an easier clean up.  I only have to clean the stick blender and I can store the mayo in the jar.  Whatever you make this in, blend the egg yolks and eggs for 45 seconds.
While the food processor/blender is running, add the lemon juice (or ACV), salt, and dijon.  Blend.  Slowly add the oil in a steady stream.  Keep blending until it looks like, um., mayo.
After the mayo is all set, I add the whey (strained from homemade yogurt) and leave the container at room temperature for 7 hours.  Yeah I know, that sounds freaky, but it's not actually that scary.  It's called Lacto fermenting and smarter people than me have found that the whey creates an explosion of good bacteria that is good for you and prevents your food from spoiling.  Mayo without the whey will last about a week in the fridge.  With the whey?  Months!

Because coconut oil is is solid below 76 degrees, this will make a thicker mayo once it's been put in the fridge.  The olive and walnut oil make it spreadable.  The mixture of oils is essential to not making this taste like a pile of crap.  I've tried other recipes with all olive oil, and it turned in to a hot mess.

I've shared this with the peeps over at Simple Lives Thursdays.

Labels: