Pesto chango!

Thanks to a summer that can only be summed up as "Junary",  the basil is just now starting to thrive in my garden.  I'm still a few days away from a ripe tomato, so I realized I should make use of some of this "summer" bounty.  So, what's a girl to do?  Make some pesto of course!

I don't really measure for the most part while I cook, but kind of just "dump" things in and see what works.  With that in mind, here is my "recipe":

Toast about 1/2 cup of whole almonds in a frying pan until they are lightly browned and fragrant.  Put in a food processor.  Top with 2 big handfuls of fresh, washed basil.  Sprinkle a little salt, a bunch of chopped garlic, and a big handful of grated parmesan.
Turn on the food processor and slowly add a bit of olive oil until the mixture in the processor resembles pesto.  Fairly straight-forward!

Pesto is a sauce that is best served in small quantities.  There is a reason that grocery stores sell it in teeny tiny jars - a little goes a long way.  And yikes, those jars are pricey!  I like to put my pesto in a covered ice cube tray until frozen solid, and then transfer them to a freezer Ziploc.

This has been posted to Frugal Tip Tuesdays, Real Food Wednesdays, and Pennywise Platter Thursdays.

Labels: , , ,